Original Marion Jaycees ca 1953

Original Marion Jaycees ca 1953

Original Marion Jaycees ca 1953

  Photo taken in 1952 or 1953 showing four members of the original Jaycee chapter on a membership drive (what else?). Shown left to right are Harry Beneke, Gilbert Harlan, Bob Blankenship, Don Harris and Jack Stephens. The photo was taken in front of the old City Hall in the NE corner of the square.

(Photo courtesy of the Williamson County Historical Society)

Marion Street Dept in the early 1950’s

This is a photo of the Marion Street Dept taken on May 1, 1953 for the Marion Daily Republcian by Carl Sorgen. Shown left to right, Bob Cooksey Comissioner of Steets and Alleys, Raph Carter Street Supterintendant, Willie Davis, Amon Buckner and Kay Poteete. The photo was found to be related to the construction of a city parking lot behind the Christian Church on North Market. This was proved in Nov 2012 by a photo taken by Edward Bridges to use as comparison.

(Photo courtesy of the Williamson County Historical Society)

 

 

1915- Old Marion Fire House

Old Marion Fire House

Old Marion Fire House

This is a photo of the old Marion Fire house that used to sit on the NE corner of  N. Van Buren and  West Union street just off the square. It was built in 1915 when the city had a team of horses and a wagon for fire prevention. The horses were housed in what later became the kitchen. Continue reading

Marion Police Dept 1953

Marion Police Dept 1953

Marion Police Dept 1953

   Marion Police Department 1953 photo taken in front of the then City Hall in NE corner of square. This photo was posted in the Marion paper on April 27, 1953. Shown left to right, Chief H.L. Davis, John Kelley, Assistant Chief Herman May, Harley C. Deaton, J.S. Dungey, Tom Lewis, Henry Spiller, radio operator Arlie Simmons and Commisioner E.E. Weber.

(Photo courtesy of the Williamson County Historical Society)