513 S. Market St., Marion, Illinois

513-market

Not many homes in Marion can claim constant occupation by a single family line for more than 140 years but the house at 513 S. Market Street could make just that claim until recently.

After Jacob Holland lost his wife, Emily, in 1857, he left his family home in W. Virginia and brought his six children to Southern Illinois, settling in Marion by 1859. All three of Jacob’s sons, Caleb, Brice and Romulus, would go on to become leading Marion citizens and active city council members. In 1871, Romulus D. Holland married Adele Hundley, daughter of Dr. Robert M. Hundley, mayor of Marion from 1867 to 1868 and builder of the second county court house in 1858. Continue reading

McDevitt, Betty Hay 1928-2016

Elizabeth “Betty” Eleanor Hay, was born November 3, 1928 to Charles W. Hay and Alliba Thurmond. Alliba was the daughter of Elisha Thurmond, founder of Thurmond Monument Company and mayor of Marion from 1927 to 1931. Charles Hay was a local Marion merchant and president of the Marion Chamber of Commerce through most of the 1930’s.

Betty’s name was derived from the first name of her half-brother, John Hay’s, fiancé who perished in a train accident named Elizabeth and Eleanor, who was the name of her mother’s aunt from Franklin County.

Even though, Betty’s family was living on S. Market Street at the time, Betty was born in DuQuoin, due to the presence of her mother’s first cousin, Dr. Marion Webb, who later went to Vienna, Austria to study. Continue reading

Marion Post Office History (MDR 1960 Article)

The following appeared in a June 1960 Marion Daily Republican article and is as published.

Marion Post Office Was Closed during Civil War

Postmaster Closed Office and Moved to Bainbridge for Protection

(by John Wayne Allison)

Marion and Williamson County were a long way from the active battlefields of the Civil War 99 years ago. Still, the war had its unique effects on the community and its citizens.

Research in the annals of time have brought forth the relationship of Marion and Bainbridge now an extinct community living only in the pages of history, came to the rescue of Marion during a crisis in postal service in the year 1861. In fact, Bainbridge can be regarded as the parent stock for all of Williamson County as well as being the first community in the county to have postal service established.

The records show that Bainbridge was situated in Section 16 of West Marion Township. It is difficult to visualize buffalo trails as the main route of transportation in the area and that Indian camps dotted the landscape. This picture was presented of the territory here prior to the pushing of the nation westward. Bainbridge became the natural spot for settlers to pick out in 1813. The location was near the edge of Phelps Prairie, where one of the trails from the Fort Massac to Kaskaskia was situated. Even George Rogers Clark passed this way in July of 1783 on his way to Fort Kaskaskia.

It was only natural that a trading post should spring up at a place where such important trails carried the commerce of the day. This was the main route from Jonesboro to West Frankfort. A post road was established by 1839. In later years, Bainbridge was only 15 miles by stage line from Frankfort. Continue reading