Carl B. Sorgen, professional photographer for Marion, Williamson County and the Marion Daily Republican through the 1950’s and 1960’s, was born in Carbondale, Illinois on August 5, 1904, to Paul Sorgen and Nellie Barber. He grew up and attended Carbondale schools.
On October 10, 1936, he married Miss Hester Louise “Dink” Davis of Marion, the daughter of Hester Louis “Heck” Davis and Georgia Stapleton. “Heck” and his wife operated Davis Market located at 1005 E. Main where Small’s Grocery is now located today. The Davises resided on S. Grey Street nearby. “Heck” also was Marion Chief of Police in the early years of the 1950’s. Continue reading
Lemoine Henry “Lee” Crouse was born September 7, 1912 in Council Bluff, Iowa, the son on Don B. Crouse (1884-1970) and Sarah Nancy Ansberry (1884-1935). Sarah’s mother was born in Ireland.
In the 1920 census when Lee was only 7, his father was a self-employed farmer and the family lived on a farm at Notch, Wyoming. Lee had two brothers sharing the home, Don B. Jr., 10, and John B., 5. Continue reading
Sale of Roland Building Stirs Memories of Theater’s Heyday
The news that the Roland Theater building had been sold recently stirred a lot of memories in the minds of the older Marion citizens, for that was the place the fellows took their girls and where pa took ma and ma took the kids.
C.F. Roland built the theater and named it for himself in 1906. Activities, however, really started one day when a man, his wife and small son came to town to play an engagement in the old Opera House. Continue reading
The following post originally titled “An Early Marion Barber Shop” was taken from a Glances at Life article written by Homer Butler in which he interviewed W.T. Hudspeth about his early barber shop business in Marion, Illinois. The date of the articles publication is May 4, 1951. It is an informative article about post turn-of-the-century business life on N. Market Street. W.T. Hudspeth passed away in January of 1981 and Homer Butler in May 1982. Continue reading
Dr. Joseph Green Parmley was born on a farm near Golconda on October 24, 1876, the son of Rev. George W. Parmley and Mary Daniel.
He attended Creal Springs Academy and Southern Illinois University before teaching school in Marion for four years. In 1904, he entered the University of Louisville, School of Medicine and graduated in 1908. Continue reading